Thalassemia is a genetic blood disorder, where affected person cannot produce normal hemoglobin. This disorder is more prevalent in Sindhi, Punjabi, Gujarati and Lohana community. In India, at every 10000 birth one child born with Thallassemia Major. There are almost 1000 Thalassemia Majors in Ahmedabad alone and this is on the rise.
If both the parents are Thallassemia Minor, 25% chances are that they could have Thalassemia Major Child, 50% chances of having Thalassemia Minor child and only 25% chances of having absolute normal child. Life of Thalassemia children is very difficult and the family carries huge burden. Eventually the child dies at very young age and family succumbs to chronic poverty.
Thalassemia Initiatives of Prathama Blood Centre is a part of large spectrum of activities to eradicate thalassemia from the society and help the affected population with needed support. The initiatives have 3 major components.
1.Thalassemia Adoption Program
2. Thalassemia Eradication Program
3. Blood Support Group
Through the above activities Prathama acts as a bridge between the families and society to support the families financially, emotionally, socially and morally. Individual donors and organizations are approached to fund these families to reduce their burden.
Further, to prevent occurrence of Thalassemia, Prathama has taken steps to check young, unmarried youth and know if they are carriers of Thalassemia trait. This helps to prevent wedlock with another Thalassemic thus reducing chance of giving birth to a Thalassemic child.
To enhance safety of thalassemic persons who undergo repeated blood transfusions, Prathama has formed a groups of blood donors who exclusively donate blood for given child. By this safe blood is available readily to the child and reduces transfusion related reactions.
Life of Thallassemia Major Children